That's So "Naut" Cool!

(And by that, I mean That's So "Nautically" Cool!)

Several times over the summer our house was being built, I asked my son how he wanted his new room decorated.  He had two requirements.  The first was that he wanted orange walls.  Secondly, he wanted to have pet fish.  Both of these requirements seemed doable to me, so I started searching for a patterned bedding that included the color orange.  I found a great comforter on Overstock by Tommy Hilfiger.  From there, I found the inspiration I needed to finish the room!


As you can see from the picture above, my son got the orange walls & fish he wanted!  I decided to tame the orange a little by painting the lower half of the wall white and adding chair rail to separate the colors. 

I found the idea for the life preserver/compass on the Rate My Space website. 

You can read about the pallet headboard here.  Above it, I framed ship plans I found online.  One of my favorite things in the room are the Euro pillows I made out of navy blue bandannas.  (I wish I would have taken a close up of those, but it's after midnight, & my son is asleep.  And by the way, if this post doesn't make any sense, it's because I'm writing it after midnight!)

More information on the bookshelf crates can be found here.

The nightstand, lamp, & navy curtains came from Target.


Originally, I had a valance hanging above the window.  I decided I really wanted to hang curtains from an oar, so I changed them out.  I bought the oar from Wal-Mart for about $12.  Then I sanded it down (but not well enough!) & stained it, which gave it kind of a weathered look!  I guess you can call it a happy accident!

I drew an anchor on a piece of plywood and had my husband cut it out with his jigsaw.  Then, I sanded & stained it and hung it on the wall.  It's not perfect, but it didn't cost us a penny since it was made out of items we had on hand.

Of course, we had to add a map for both thematic & educational purposes!


You can read more about the desk here.  My husband built a bench to go under it. 

I saw the idea to hang clip boards in the Restoration Hardware kids catalog.  The two on the end hold Zeke's artwork & the one in the middle holds a calendar.


I guess it's time to dock this boat & get to bed!  I hope you enjoyed this "three hour tour"!  (Great, now I'm gonna be singing the theme song to Gilligan's Island all night!)

I'm linking this post to:

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

http://www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/

Roomspiration Blog Hop at All Things Bright & Beautiful

HOUSEography House Tour Link Party    

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...