Styling the Mantel for Everyday

I have been wanting to change out the accessories on my mantel for some time now & I have finally found a look I am happy with!  Yay!  But first, we must check out what it looked like before…duh, duh, duh…

IMG_2695

I usually change the look of the mantel for Christmas & fall, but for the rest of the year, it looked like the picture above.  There was something about this look that just wasn't doing it for me.  Maybe it was the Tuscan style painting or the use of glass accessories that made it look so bland, but whatever it was, something had to change!

The changes began when I found a huge mirror to fit the space at Home Emporium.  I think it cost around $60, which is a great price, since the mirror is about four feet tall!  Originally, I didn't want a mirror here, since it would be reflecting a ceiling fan & kitchen cabinets, but I couldn't find any affordable art that I felt fit the space.  After searching for months, I finally decided a mirror would be great for year round use, since I like to hang wreaths above the fireplace for fall & Christmas.

After Christmas, I had my husband hang the mirror & the mantel sat empty while I scoured Pinterest for ideas.  I  didn't want to spend much money on the accessories, but I knew I would have to buy a few pieces, since I don’t have many tchotchkes to choose from!  Luckily, I scored a turquoise vase at Old Time Pottery for $11 & a faux succulent from Hobby Lobby for around $6 (after my 40% off coupon).

Determined not to buy anything else for the mantel (since I have spent all my spending money until hubby’s next pay day!) I spent all day Saturday playing around with the mantel. 

I can finally say that I love the new look!  Here it is:


IMG_6798

Doesn't it just look so cheerful?

IMG_6799


I’m so happy with this $11 vase from Old Time Pottery.  To add more visual interest, I paired it with a small bud vase from Wal-Mart (that I already had) & threw in some faux flowers.  I plan on using real ones once my rose bush starts blooming in the spring, but for now, fresh flowers on a weekly basis are not in the budget!


IMG_6800


On the other side, I added the faux succulent I found at Hobby Lobby for around $6 (after coupon).  Then I stacked some books in colors that coordinated with the room & topped them with a frame (from Wal-Mart I think).  I didn't want anyone to think I was showing favoritism for certain family members, so I took out the photo & added this bird picture I printed from Vintage Printable (and yes, I put sticky tack under it to keep the frame from falling off the mantel).


IMG_6801


The frame did a great job concealing the on/off switch to the gas fireplace.


IMG_6802


I’m so glad I finally came up with mantel décor I am actually proud of!


IMG_6803


I’m loving the cheerful pops of turquoise & pink!  I can’t stop looking at this space!  It’s amazing what a few changes can do to a room!

Sharing here:


TDC Before and After   My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...