Handy Half Bath

Our tiny bathroom had no storage, & with three children to get ready in the mornings, I needed a place to stash their toothbrushes, hair supplies, & extra toilet paper.  On Wednesday, I showed you how my husband helped remedy this problem by building floating shelves in the recessed area above the toilet.  Today, I’ll show you how I brought style & functionality together to create a bathroom that finally works for our family.

Designed To Dwell  {Half Bathroom}

Here is what the bathroom looked like before the redo:


Before adding the shelves, I took down the large towel rack & filled in the holes.  Then I painted the walls Toasted Almond by Olympic Paints.  I love how much lighter the room is now!

IMG_4686

We also changed the handle out on the toilet with a brushed nickel one.  It’s a great way to upgrade the toilet for a small amount of money!  The faux boxwood is from Michael’s.

IMG_4691

I enjoyed shopping the house & a few stores for accessories for the shelves.  I bought the basket on the top shelf from Garden Ridge a couple of years ago.  The gold bowl on the second shelf was from a flower arrangement my mother-in-law gave me years ago.  I saved it because I loved it, but this is the first time I’ve been able to use it in my d├ęcor.  The silver tray is from Dollar Tree & the succulents-I-will-never-kill were about $10 from Target!  The candle holder & shell bowl on the third shelf were both from Garden Ridge.  The bottom shelf holds my grandmother’s sewing basket & tiny kitten figurine.  The mirror is from Marshall’s.

IMG_4689

I’m kind of in love with this matted peacock print from Hobby Lobby.  It was originally $15.99, but I got it for half off.  I think it adds a little quirkiness to the room!  The frame was about $12 from Wal-Mart.

IMG_4692

The sink portion of the bathroom was a little harder to photograph.  We replaced the large towel rod with a smaller towel ring & changed the toilet paper holder to match.  I also added a new soap dispenser.  It’s not my favorite soap dispenser ever, but I needed something that was plastic, since my five-year-old loves to play in the sink…urgh!  It came from Target & the hand towel is from Marshall’s.

Here is another shot of this side of the room:

IMG_4693

I just love looking at this room now!  On Monday, I’ll show you where I hid the toilet paper, wipes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair accessories, eye glass cleaner, & more! 
  IMG_4688

I’d love for you to follow along as we upgrade our builder-basic home!  You can follow Designed to Dwell through Google Friend Connect or receive posts through e-mail.  Have a great weekend!

Sharing at some of these great blogs:

Working With What You Have link up at emilyaclark.com





17 comments:

  1. What a difference those shelves made! That was a great idea for storage, and the location was perfect for them. I also love that sewing box. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have small(er) bathrooms, and every ittle bit of storage helps!!! The shelves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the redo! We have a small bath that needs some work. I really like all the shelves.

    We'd love for you to link up to our Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great and pretty use of space. Extra storage is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken a tour through your blog and I'm now following. Cute kiddos and some great projects. Love you new sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/06/show-your-stuff-29-mini-cherry.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this turned out!
    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bathroom looks great! Fantastic job on those shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! The shelves are my fave ;)
    would LOVE for you to come link up at http://www.mercyinkblog.com - we're having a Hearts&Homes link party... come going :)
    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea and the shelves look amazing. Great upgrade and so pretty too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be perfect to link to my Table Top Tuesday party this afternoon. That's where we show every surface in our home and how we decorate it. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lauren! Sorry I missed the link up, we were out of town & then came back to a power outage! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and functional upgrade! Awesome!! (saw your post on hometalk)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the shelving! i never know what to do with that space behind the toilet, but this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there! Love your bathroom update! I'm working on an article for SheKnows.com featuring bathroom updates from bloggers and I'd love to include yours! I'll need your permission to use your photos, and of course I'll link it back to your blog. Unfortunately, I have a super quick turnaround on this and I'll need to hear from you to today to make it work. If you would like to be featured, please email me ASAP at whitneycoy@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, where did you get your shelving and how did you attach it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya-- We built the shelves. You can see how we did it here: http://designedtodwell.blogspot.com/2012/06/adding-storage-in-tiny-bathroom.html. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...