Transforming Tab Curtains

The dining room has needed window treatments since we moved in.  A few weeks ago, I picked up some Lenda curtains from Ikea for $19.99 per pair.  The curtains were the right color & size, but I wasn’t exactly loving the tabbed top.  Originally, I purchased some curtain hanging clips with the intention of cutting off the tabs & using the clips, but I decided to ditch that idea when I realized I didn’t buy enough clips.  Instead, I decided to transform my tab curtains into rod pocket type curtains & today I’m going to show you how I did it!


Here is what the curtains looked like before the transformation:


First, I pinned each tab to the back of the curtains.

Next, I simply sewed a few stitches in each tab to hold it in place.  Make sure to use a strong thread & knot it a few times to ensure a good hold.


Finally, hang your curtains by sliding the rod into your newly created pocket & admire the transformation!


Here’s the finished product (sans steaming)!


Although this project was pretty simple, hand sewing all those individual stitches was time consuming!  Using a machine would have been much quicker, but I was afraid the stitching would show through the front.  What would you have done?

Linking here:

Working With What You Have link up at

TDC Before and After


  1. This was pretty clever! And they look great. I have seen on Pinterest where people have taken pretty bed sheets or anything and turned them into no sew curtains. All they did was hot glue some strips of ribbon vertically across the top to serve as the rod pockets. (Kind of like how you just folded the tabs down, except they hot glued it.) You could have possibly done that! =]

  2. Thanks! I thought about gluing or using heat & bond on them, but was afraid it wouldn't hold up to my rough kids!

  3. that is such a terrific idea!! I have panels like that too that I dislike! Very clever!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...