Curvaceous Headboard

On the list of items we needed for Elie's room was a headboard.  Since I am cheap, I was hoping my husband could just make one from plywood, instead of having to buy one!

I loved these from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child, but wasn't quite planning on spending $900+ for a bed!



I showed these inspirations to my husband and asked if he thought it was possible to cut the shape out of plywood.  He thought it was possible & agreed to go to the hardware store for supplies while I tried to draw & cut the shape out of a piece of wrapping paper.

To create the shape, I unrolled a piece of wrapping paper as wide as the headboard would be.  Then, I folded it in half & drew half of the shape.  Then I cut it out, while folded, to create an even template once unfolded.  (Unfortunately, it got thrown out before I thought to take a picture!)

Next, I gave this drawing to my husband who traced it onto half a piece of plywood & then cut it out using a jig saw. 


Then, from the other half of the plywood, he cut the same shape again to create a 2 inch piece of trim (see below).


He nailed this to the front of the bigger headboard piece and added a wooden decoration to dress up the front.  Here it is all put together:


Here are a few more pictures once it was painted & installed:




I like the way it turned out.  Easy on the eye, & at about $25 total, very easy on the wallet!


I'm linking to these great parties:

    Photobucket  







   The DIY Show OffMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia   Weekend Bloggy Reading  Furniture Feature Fridays 

17 comments:

  1. Hi I've just found your blog after you posted a comment on mine, love it and will be checking in everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I love the inspiration pictures as well but yours is so much easier on the wallet. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. now that's skill! andiejaye@ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog through Remodelaholic! :)This bed is is super cute adn just what I have been looking for. I'm with you I just can't justify paying $900 for a twin bed. If you do not mind me asking how did you attach the bed rails to the headboard and did you make a footboard as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning Wendy! It's absolutely gorgeous and you can't beat the price. Kudos to your husband for building such a beautiful headboard! Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness- this is so sweet and charming! What a great project- love how it came out!! You did a wonderful job on it! Thank you for sharing this loveliness at Feathered Nest Friday- hope you come back and share again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I’m glad you like it!

    I asked my husband how we attached it & here’s the answer: When we first moved in our house, we bought a cheap ($30 or so) bed frame to put the mattresses on. It had holes in it, so my husband just lined up the headboard with the bed frame & marked where the holes were. Then, he drilled holes in the marked spot on the headboard & bolted it on. We’ve leaned against it, while reading to our daughter & it hasn’t budged, so it is holding up well! We didn’t make a footboard, but I’m sure you could use the same general idea to do so!

    I hope that answers your questions. If you think of any more, feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! looks so great! such a sweet little bed, i love it! found this over at blue cricket, stop by for a visit sometime :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, I'm impressed with the craftmanship and the savings. I'm following now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! This is gorgeous! Love it.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It looks amazing, and you can't beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy! Wanted to let you know that we featured your fabulous headboard this week at Inspiration Friday!

    Heather and Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an amazing job! Looks wonderful. And you can't beat the price!! Visiting from Amanda's party :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work!! I love DIY projects, and this is a good one. I bet she was so excited about the bed. :)

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! Hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your headboard. I too wanted those beds for my daughter but balked at the prices. What a great solution!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...