Our Take on a Nature Playscape

For the past two years, I have desperately been trying to add some outdoor play areas for our kids.  I was so tired of our kids spending all of their outdoor time in the neighbor's backyard.  I wanted our house to be the "cool" house.  You know, the one where all the neighbor kids want to hang out.  Well, I think we have finally achieved that with this area of our yard!

{The Full View}

Our back yard is on a steep slope, so it wasn't quite possible to put a play set in the back.  Plus, it would have taken away from our beautiful wooded view!  After clearing away lots of tall grass, dead trees, & brush, we realized that this area in our side yard worked great!

Here's a closer look at what we added:

{Our version of a tree swing!}


{Hula Hoop Tent, which I begged my mom to make for my daughter's birthday!}


{Zip Line...We made it short enough that they have to lift their feet to go down.  It seems less dangerous that way, & they can always put their feet down to slow themselves!}


{The zip line is a hit with the neighbor boys!}


{Fallen tree balance beam}


{Tree climbing}


{We cleared a path in the woods that leads to the creek.}


{Posing on the path!}


{Giant Sandbox made from landscaping timbers}


{Bigger, messier view of the sandbox}


{We also have a picnic table which is great for snacks or for observing leaves & bugs!}

The great thing about this area is that it really gets our kids involved in nature.  They spend countless hours searching for insects, leaves, buckeyes, & other treasures! 

I'm so glad our kids are finally able to utilize our backyard, & I'm even more thrilled that the neighbor kids want to join them!

I'll be sharing here:






         

7 comments:

  1. ahhh! i love the tent and the zipline! what a cool place to have an outdoor "classroom" almost! i'd want to hang out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to let you know that i'm featuring this at my link party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooove your fun backyard. My boys would have a blast! And I love that you have so many trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great play area, but you must not have ticks / Lyme in your area. We don't let our kids near our woods during the Summer, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stinks. My m-i-l says they are worse up north, but we don't have them that bad here. We should still be checking heads on days they play in the woods though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As to ticks...a few chickens will comb through those woods getting all those nasty ticks, gobbling them up and providing a lovely cozy 'cluck-cluck' sound. :) I'm a chicken pusher what can I say! :)

    ~Honey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can You tell me how you attached the beam to the tree?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...