Boy’s Bedroom Makeover: The Plans

In 2011, I finished decorating my son’s room.  His favorite color was (& still is) orange, so, I found a comforter that incorporated orange, slathered the walls in orange paint, & gave everything a nautical theme.



It has pretty much looked this way since then, with the exception of a Craigslist dresser we bought in 2013 & the full-sized bed we just passed down to him over Christmas break.  Well, it hasn’t exactly looked as pristine as the photo above!  My boy is a collector.  He has collections of quarters, pennies, rocks, shells, sea glass, cars, silly bands, acorns, rubber ducks…the list goes on.  Every surface top is pretty much covered with his collections or projects. 

Here are my plans for making over this space:

OB-Zeke's Room

Besides an obvious need for storage & appropriate-sized bedding, I would also like to lighten the walls.  This room is pretty small & only has one window.  A new, lighter shade of paint will not only brighten the space, but also create the feeling of a bigger room. In the next couple of weeks, I plan to remove the chair rail & paint the walls Toasted Almond, by Olympic Paints.  It’s the same color I have in the entry & upstairs hallway of our home.  I haven’t actually painted a sample on the wall yet, so this could change.  We will also trim out the window & probably add a stationary roman shade (aka faux-man shade). 

DSC_0592

I am not exactly set on the orientation of the bed.  Zeke would like it to remain as it is in the picture above, but it takes up so much space in his room.  There is enough room to place it against the wall long-ways (like a daybed), but if we do that, I’m not sure what I’ll do about the headboard. 

One thing I am sure of is that it will have a vintage pull-down map hanging above it.  I found a great deal through a local auction site & have one that has been sitting in my closet for two years.  Time to get that baby hanging!  I also know I want to flank the bed with Ikea Rast dressers.  I think these dressers make great nightstands, since they are small, but will add much needed storage.

DSC_0593

The layout across from the bed will remain as it is today.  I’m hoping to find an inexpensive, upholstered chair to take the place of the director’s chair in the corner.  We will hang a mirror (or possibly a gallery wall) above the dresser, & add a tray to hold a 5th grade boy essential—deodorant!  Maybe he’ll start using it if we display it???

DSC_0594

The desk wall will probably change from the mood board above.  With the bed in the center of the room, having a full-fledged desk will really cramp the space.  If the layout stays this way, we will most-likely build a pull-down desk, with a more comfortable stool below it.  A wall of inexpensive shelves will create a place to store Zeke’s books & many collections.

I cannot wait to get this project started! 

Sharing at the Pretty Preppy Party & Evolution of Style!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...