Morning Room Challenge: How to Trim an Arched Window


Welcome back to week three of the One Room Challenge, in which I am updating the look of our morning room! You can see the before pictures & plan here & last week's progress here.
 

This week we added trim to our windows. Okay, technically we did that a few weeks ago, with the exception of the half circle window, since the online tutorial for slicing the trim lengthwise into bendable pieces did not in fact turn the trim into bendable pieces.

After trimming the outer two windows, we turned to the window below the arch. The bottom window was slightly smaller than the arched window. We easily solved that issue by adding these decorative square pieces to each end of the trim. Then, we finished off the sides & the bottom of the window.




In order to frame the arch, we had to special order flexible moulding from Lowes' window department. This is more expensive than regular moulding, but also cheaper than having custom moulding made & installed.

The product we used is by Carter Flex & cost around $120 for 11 feet. We were able to find the exact profile of the moulding we used on the other windows.


It's a rubber-like super flexible material that easily trimmed out our window.



Once the trim was installed & all the gaps were caulked, it got a few coats of crisp, white paint.



It's not a huge difference, but we really love the way it looks, & it's definitely a step above "builder-grade" windows that are only trimmed along the bottom, as you can see below...




 While I was at it, I also gave the door & baseboards a fresh coat of white paint and touched up some of the wall paint.


The end chairs I ordered from Overstock arrived...


I was waiting on them to arrive so I could match the leather to paint samples for the side chairs I need to make over.


 The Ikea Malm dresser is installed & I just ordered some lamps to sit on top of it. I went the budget-friendly route & ordered the lamps in "off white" instead of the more expensive turquoise option. I am saving about $20 per lamp & plan on painting them turquoise myself. Hopefully, that will turn out well...


I ordered the curtains around labor day & just opened the box yesterday! I thought I could make the 84" curtain length work, but when we hung them up, they were really short. Looks like I will be spending some time with a seam ripper this weekend!



I do really love the color & pattern in the curtains though!

The Plans
1. Replace the small "buffet" with a white Ikea Malm dresser.
2. Add trim around the windows.
3. Replace the curtains.
4. Re-finish the table in a darker stain to minimize the "orange-y oak" look.
5. Replace the chairs with two different styles.
6. Give the secretary a makeover in the form of black paint.
7. DIY artwork
8. Add new lamps & accessories to provide cheerful pops of color.

Now, to balance making 5 Halloween costumes, hanging curtains, & painting & staining furniture...

Be sure to visit Calling It Home to see all the other One Room Challenge makeovers!


2 comments:

  1. Love the trimmed windows! We are closing on a house with this exact morning room window setup (Ryan Homes). I hadn't even thought of what to do with the arched window...didn't even know a flexible trim existed. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you found this helpful!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...