Here is what the space looked like before:
And here it is today from a similar vantage point:
See that beautiful mirrored cabinet above? My husband built that in three days from scratch! I am in love!
I plan on sharing a tutorial for the cabinet next Thursday (see it here). We actually finished it last night (Tuesday) so I just grabbed some things from around the house to style it. The lamp lives in the living room & is from Target (I don’t think they sell it anymore). The sphere sculpture was a DIY I copied from Crazy Wonderful. (Hers turned out much better than mine!) The candle holders came from Hobby Lobby & sit on the table in the entry way.
How about another before?
We purchased two identical Danbury Sofas from JC Penney’s in January, which is what got my wheels spinning for this makeover. The rug is the Moroccan Aster Rug made by Jaipur. I found it at a local store for just $70!
I made pillow covers from P.Kauffman’s Impression Garden fabric (My husband prefers them turned over to the white side!) & purchased Ikea Sanela covers in turquoise.
You can see how we DIY-ed the coffee table here.
I styled it with books, magazines, a tray, thrift store finds, & a clear blue vase from Michael’s.
The table between the sofas was a thrift store find that I re-finished.
Let’s take a look at how the fireplace wall started:
In the last few weeks it has started looking like this:
The chairs flanking the fireplace were another great find. They are Christopher Knight Club Chairs that retail for close to $300 a piece. I scored them for $100 each at a local store called Bargains & Buyouts. (The same place I got the rug.) Above the chairs I created some inexpensive artwork using some free printables & cheap frames from Michael’s.
I created some faux-man shades using Sherry’s tutorial (don’t look too closely!) out of the extra Vilborg curtain panel (That’s what we have hanging on the wall of windows). The throw blanket is from TJ Maxx & the pillow is a modification to the Ikea Lappljung Ruta pillow cover.
I hung a large mirror on the mantel from Southeastern Salvage.
A vase from Michael’s & flower bud are on the left side.
A faux succulent from Hobby Lobby sits on the right side of the mantel along with some books & a free framed printable.
The wall opposite all the windows is our TV wall. Here it is before:
It’s hard to believe we re-used these same pieces to create this:
You can see how we tweaked the entertainment center here. Basically, we cut down the base piece, painted it black, & added new hardware.
Then my husband built doors & added them to the bookshelves. They now contain a mess of toys, books, games, & puzzles.
We painted a Tarva chest and added it to the back corner of the room. It basically holds electronic equipment & more toys.
I hung a decorative flower above the chest (Hobby Lobby) & styled the top with some picture frames (Wal-Mart), thrift store finds, & a DIY urchin.
And that pretty much completes the tour!
In case you would like to see more of the projects completed in the past six weeks, feel free to visit these pages:
Week One: The Plan
Week Two: DIY Coffee Table
Week Three: Paint Color/Artwork/Molding/Curtains/Side Tables
Week Four: Tweaking the Entertainment Center
Week Five: We took a break this week to focus on family, Halloween, & my husband’s job, so I didn’t bother posting!
Here is the moodboard I came up with for the room:
And here is the result:
The next One Room Challenge starts in 5 months. If you need me in the meantime, I will probably wiping fingerprints off the mirrored console or praying that my children don’t break the glass!
Please stop by next Thursday to check out the tutorial for the mirrored console.