Boy’s Bedroom Makeover- Part Three

In January, I began making over my 11 year-old son’s bedroom.  Progress has been pretty slow moving, but today, I thought I would give an update on what has been accomplished.  Let’s look at some pictures, shall we?

After planning the space & painting the room, we hung the vintage map that I have been hoarding in my closet for two years!  My son wanted to keep it on this map of the US, but he can also flip to a world map or a map of Alaska & Hawaii. 

DSC_0820

Since I am only using my monthly spending allowance (plus money I earned through selling things on Craigslist) I had to save up before I could buy a couple of Rast dressers from Ikea.  I absolutely LOVE that these are so inexpensive, can be painted/stained to look great, & are a small size, with quite a bit of storage. 

DSC_0821

Before assembling them, I stained the outside pieces (Early American by Minwax) & painted the drawer fronts white.  I used the knobs that came with them for a while so I could save up to buy some ring knobs. 

Then, one day I remembered this post from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs showing how she made her own ring knobs.  (I also found this post helpful.)  Around the same time I had this recollection, I also remembered that I had two bags of Ikea curtain rings.  After assembling a cotter pin around the ring & inserting the cotter pin into a beveled washer, I spray painted them gold & followed up with a couple coats of clear acrylic sealer.  Then, my husband pushed the cotter pin through the holes in the drawers & spread them apart with the help of pliers & a hammer (kind of like how you use brass fasteners for kid crafts).  (The cotter pins were pretty tough stuff, so my husband had to do all the assembling & putting them in the drawers.)  I would say I only spent about $8 for all twelve knobs!  (Ignore the wonky one on the middle drawer, I should have straightened it out before taking the picture!)

DSC_0824

Next, I stained & polyurethaned two shelves, cut from an $8 board at Home Depot.  We used some “L” brackets for easy shelf installation, which cost another $6 (total).  Originally, I wanted three shelves, but it didn't end up working out, since we are planning on building a pull-down desk under the bottom shelf.

DSC_0826

My son is a collector, so this gives him a nice place to display some of his rocks, shells, weathered glass, & buckeyes.  I’m not sure what I’ll do when these collections grow, since we’re already running out of space!

DSC_0819

So far the biggest expense for this makeover has been the bedding.  Since we just upgraded Zeke to a full-sized bed, we needed new sheets, dust ruffle, comforter, & pillows

DSC_0827

I wanted to upgrade Zeke’s director’s chair to a more comfortable chair he could read or hang out in.  I was able to get this one on Craigslist for $75.  It is in great condition & is very comfortable.

Here is a look at most of the things that we still have to do in the room. Oh, shoot… forgot to add headboard in there…  We have to do that too!

Z room

We also need to build a pull-out desk & bench below the bookshelves, but PicMonkey was giving me a hard time, so I’m not going to bother labeling another picture!

DSC_0830

So, slowly, but surely we are getting things accomplished in this room.  I’m hoping that we can work on a few things this weekend.  I would love to have this room finished in the next couple of weeks so I can get started on my daughter’s.  (I'm picking up something for her space tomorrow, which has me excited about her room makeover!)

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...