Out of my 11 goals for last year, I accomplished three!
First, I made over the study to better fit our personalities & style.
Next, we added a few decorative touches to spruce up the patio.
Finally, I updated the kids’ bathroom.
Projects for 2014
This year, I just want to focus mainly on the function & style of our first floor & finishing those other 8 projects from last year! So, here’s the plan:
1. Finish up the current living room projects by recovering a set of chairs & accessorizing with new pillows. (This is an older picture. I have already added some pillows & art above the couch. Pretty soon I’ll show you the new accessories on that round table too!)
2. Make a few tweaks to the family room, to better reflect my new found style! In 2013, I re-styled the mantel & ordered new sofas. Unfortunately, nearly three months after ordering the sofas, we have encountered one problem after another & have still not received them. Currently, one is missing. I’m really hoping for some good news this week, but I won’t be holding my breath.
This year, I want to
3. Change up the morning room to better reflect the style of our home. To do this, I want to paint the buffet white, replace the secretary for something with cleaner lines, re-accessorize, possibly tweak the chairs, & maybe replace the curtains. I’m not sure what I’ll actually be able to get done in this room, but I feel that it is the room farthest from my style on the main floor. (Does that make sense?) Time to search for inspiration, & learn magic!
4. Add deep shelving in the storage section of the basement. (Done- See it here!)
5. Beautify the backyard by adding a retaining wall next to the patio & making it a decorative vegetable garden. (Those exist, right?) Also, add plantings & make some adjustments near the fire pit area.
6. Paint the front door black & replace the shutters on the arched window (if we still have them). Possibly add some seating to the front porch.
7. This summer, I hope to make over my kids' rooms. We bought my daughter a brass bed last year & my son a large vintage map & dresser. The bed & the map have yet to be installed. I’d like to paint their walls the same neutral color, add new bedding (they might both be getting full sized beds), curtains, chairs, & a parsons desk for my daughter. We’ll see if I make it to this, since I’d much rather work on the above 6 items first.
I guess I better get off here & try to convince my husband to help me get all this done… and maybe start looking for a job!
So, do you set goals for your home every year? I’d love to know what they are! Feel free to share in the comments below!