Land of Nod Inspired Christmas Decor

Christmas in my kids’ rooms usually means quickly setting up their 4-foot pre-lit Christmas trees, slapping on some ornaments, & calling it a day.  This year, however, I found myself inspired by The Land of Nod’s Christmas Catalog.  After a trip to Hobby Lobby, I got to work crafting decorations for my son’s room.

First up was this “Merry Christmas” garland, which costs $12.95 from LoN.  I decided to make my own cheaper version by using four sheets of colorful cardstock.  I cut each 12x12 sheet into four squares, drew each letter by hand (making sure to stick with a color pattern), & cut them out.  Then, I used a hole punch to string yarn through the letters.  I hung them using a few thumb tacks.


IMG_6133


After seeing my colorful creation, the kids wanted in on the crafting action, so we spent some time twisting white & colored pipe cleaners together.  After cutting them in half, I shaped them into candy canes, inspired by these ornaments.


IMG_6146


While the kids were twisting away, I created a Christmas tree template by folding a sheet of paper in half & drawing on half a pine tree.  Then I cut out my template, unfolded it, & traced it onto a piece of green felt.  After cutting it out, I simply stuck it on one of my son’s fleece pillows.  (The felt kind of clings to the fleece.)


IMG_6145


After Zeke decorated his tree, I simply wrapped some leftover orange fleece around it to act as a tree skirt.

I pinned this adorable cardboard Rudolph from Good Housekeeping & knew it would be the perfect accessory above the floating shelf in Zeke’s room.  If you click on the link above, you can print the directions & template out.  Since I couldn’t print on a large piece of paper, I simply traced the template from my computer screen onto a piece of tissue paper.  Then I cut the tissue paper template out & used it to trace the design onto an old box.  After assembling it, I glued another piece of cardboard to the back & stuck thumb tacks through it to attach it to the wall.

Since I didn’t have any jingle bells for around Rudolph’s neck, I braided some red yarn & attached some small ornaments on it to mimic the look of bells!

After hanging Rudolph, I realized I needed to change up the accessories on the floating shelf too.  I made some standing paper Christmas trees using this method.  I did have to use some sticky tack to keep them standing upright.


IMG_6135


At this point, my kids had lost interest in my crafting madness, & my son was not interested when I asked him to draw some Christmas-y pictures for his clip boards.  After quickly drawing a snowman & Christmas tree, he talked his sister into coloring his work.  She also lost interest, which is why the Christmas tree was scribbled green!  Grrr!


IMG_6140


Here’s the view of the desk area:


IMG_6142


So, do you decorate your kids’ rooms for Christmas?  Friday, I’ll share how I was inspired to decorate my daughter’s room from Restoration Hardware’s Christmas catalog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...